26 April 2014
Kidd Pivot / Crystal Pike "The Tempest Replica"
The sounds, that I suppose were of creaking wooden floorboards and an opening door underscoring a sparsely melodic piano, bell, guitar piece — was an anticipation of an entrance, a presence, a character, a movement. It was sometimes stretched and became a percussion. The rattling of a metal foil, the sweeps of waves, and tapping water. Remember these. How they worked together.
The multimedia opened with a spotlight image of rain behind which characters dressed in white danced. Projection escapes the scrim and falls on the character, almost like an animation. A clever overlap which was exposed by strobe lighting.
Identification of characters possible as they changed out of the "paper-cut" costumes that masked their features. Each character has significant and clear visual language.
Post-show: Director talks about the body and various possibilities of stoppages. How the body comes to a stop — something she always thinks about. The removal of verbal cues as a way to connect and feel with other senses and on a visceral level.
D woke up at 4/26/2014 05:34:00 AM [comment]
* * * *
25 April 2014
1. 我問你怎麼知道藥效發作了。你說「Everything is different」
看著河裡的水泛著波光，我突然想起 16 歲的自己。
怎麼會有人相信我報的數字呢？60 幾公斤不是腰圍 36 寸的人的體重啊。
D woke up at 4/25/2014 03:42:00 AM [comment]
* * * *
24 April 2014
1. I am getting back in the momentum of writing. Because of C, and because before the holidays, in a writers' workshop, the instructor said, 'Don't stop writing, even nonsense.'
2. For some reason, I saw an image of the waitress at the Ischia restaurant in my head that day. Her inability to understand our English and having to second-guess our requests. And her lips pressed together to form a smile. I thought of all the diners in the restaurant, eating their individual plates cooked in seawater, pretending that all was fine and talking in hushed tones. It was the sea-sick pill we took before that made us drowsy and lazy. We missed the chance to dine earlier at the pier, with the good-looking waiter who was again inept at English. I remember wanting to learn Italian, to sweep them off their feet. These boys who were leading simple lives at the pier, not needing to go anywhere because the salt in the air was nourishing enough. The boy who sold the delicious pizza dough. The younger ones who called us 'arigato' and then 'chings' when Dann appeared. I am trying to remember, but all I can recall are the waves hitting on the shores again and again, the seagulls circling, and the distant chatter in Italian.
3. If I could sculpt this image in words, why let an image take away that privilege? I am afraid of taking out a camera at these beautiful moments. I know you'd be conscious and that will destroy this. I will look at you and smile because we know. The projector runs in my mind, they can be replayed, overlapping scenes, light on water, light in water, light on your face, casting a shadow, blue, red, orange, bright, an originating source, clear, lucid, clean. The colours sometimes undecided or subconsciously corrected. Blur, fuzzy, sharp, true.
4. You were dancing in the living room. 70s electronic. Awkward long limbs, mechanical gestures. Avoiding my gaze, but dancing for me. It was 10 seconds maybe? But that spontaneity between us stretched forever.
D woke up at 4/24/2014 06:46:00 PM [comment]
* * * *
頓時我腦海漂回到新加坡的房間，在電腦前燒 CD ，想在來倫敦前把音樂帶齊。
我告訴你心裡的感慨 － 春天要在忙碌裡結束。快活的日子要告個段落了。
聽著河畔的水聲，享受春天寒冷卻不刺骨的風 － 所有的記憶冰冰的、亮亮的。
D woke up at 4/24/2014 04:09:00 AM [comment]
* * * *
23 April 2014
「Where did we meet?
Was it under the sun?
Or beneath the moon?」
「Where will we meet?
Will there be birds?
Or will be the branches be bare?」
D woke up at 4/23/2014 04:47:00 AM [comment]
* * * *